"There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

Monday, January 19, 2009

Battlestar Galactica

A few weeks ago, I joked to Ron that I was anxious for the final half of BSG's last season to begin so I could finally be disappointed.

The first episode aired last week, and my reaction to it is pretty much what my reaction to the series as a whole has been. The show has a tremendous premise and generally interesting characters, and the producers have added to that top-notch acting and great production values.

But it just doesn't hang together. I've long believed that Ron Moore and company never really knew where they were going with this and were maming it up as they went along. Maybe I'm wrong and it will all tie together in the end.

The latest episode had several big surprises, but as with most all of BSG's big surprises, they raise more questions than they answer. I get the feeling that the writers get together and ask themselves what they can do that fans will never in a million years expect. Their goal seems to be fooling the viewers. So they never really ask if those surprises they unleash make sense given what we know of the characters and the history we've been given so far.

Here are some interviews that lead me to believe I'm right about their mindset. Spoilers warning for those who haven't see the most recent episode.

No comments: