According to this story police are investigating the videotaped beating of a mentally man by a karate student.
The video was posted several days ago on YouTube and quickly made its way to a number of martial arts and sports message boards as well as some military discussion boards (the student and his instructor are both reportedly former Marines).
The discussion on almost every board I've seen has been pretty much unanimous on these points:
1. It was a criminal assualt on a delusional but harmless man who clearly stated he did not want to fight and tried to stop the fight several times.
2. The stomps to the head delivered by the instructor after the man was knocked unconcious would, as the police chief said the the story, have left him with severe brain damage if he survived them at all.
3. Taping and posting, years later, the beating made it even more sick.
Well, there was one board where the discussion followed a different path.
The folks at Freerepublic.com seem to believe
1. The beating wasn't that bad.
2. They guy deserved it.
3. That's the way things are on the street.
What universe do modern conservatives live in?
You can find the video pretty easily on the Web if you want to.
"There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster