"There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Greatest Lines Ever in Country Music

10. Well look here, is that a teardrop in the corner of your pane? Now don't you try to tell me that it's rain. *
9. 'Til I get used to losin’ you, let me keep on usin’ you 'til I can make it on my own
8. He talks about you in his sleep and there's nothing I can do to keep from crying when he calls your name, Jolene.
7. Wakin' in the mornin' to the feelin' of her fingers on my skin. Wipin' out the traces of the people and the places that I've been.
6. Dad drove a stock car to an early death, all I remember is a drunk man's breath.
5. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.
4. I turned 21 in prison doing life without parole. No one could steer me right but momma tried.
3. While she pours herself on some stranger, I pour myself a drink somewhere
2. Picking up hookers instead of my pen, I let the words of my youth slip away
1. I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.


* Roger Miller reportedly once said that was the greatest line ever in a country song. I obviously disgaree.

No comments: