"There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

America's Strangest Newspaper

Jimmy alerted me to this story about Investor's Business Daily. I worked at IBD for about nine years, and yes, it was a bit odd, even by newspaper standards, odder really than this article shows.

I covered politics, economics and government, not business. I really enjoyed my time there. Hey, I spent almost a decade working there. But I know that I and other writers were pretty convinced that we were just filler between the stock tables.

I'm glad they are doing well. I still have a couple of friends that work there. But the editorial page, which was always a "red meat for the bubbas" type page, seems to have veered off into Michael Savage territory in the past few years.

1 comment:

D. Anghelone said...

"But I know that I and other writers were pretty convinced that we were just filler between the stock tables."

What did you expect to be? At IBD or Reason or Morninglory Daily, what do you expect to be? If you want to go out like Orson Welles and his sled then start your own damned paper.

Ya know, it's fun being a troll.